Thursday 26 July 2018

Books: When Politics Gets in the Way of a Plot!

I began writing my latest novel, The Reluctant Expat, in November 2014 as part of National Novel Writing Month with a simple enough plot which would take my main characters, reluctantly or not, from Britain to France.



As well as exploring Julia's emotional response to the loss of a close friend, I thought it would be fun to destabilise her cosy and safe existence; she is a strong individual and I wanted to give her a challenge. Having done it myself, I know that even moving to a neighbouring country can be tough. France may only be across a small stretch of water from the UK but it is far more than just the language that is very, very different. But one element I didn't need to address was the ease with which citizens of any one country of the European Union can move to another - you don't need a visa or a work permit, or to ask permission. So long as you can support yourself without becoming a burden on your host country and have medical insurance you are welcome to stay. No paperwork. Easy.

My characters never discussed the legality, the rights, of moving from one European country to another or the possibility of not being allowed to stay; it just wasn't a necessary part of the plotting. That was until June 2016 and the UK very marginally voted to leave the European Union. Even then, although personally shocked by the result, I knew that as the referendum was advisory and the result marginal - too close to call a strike or to make a change to the constitution in the main political parties - it was unlikely to be enacted upon. I continued with the novel and let Julia worry about the cost of renovations.

But then the UK government triggered article 50, signalling that the country would be going it alone and basically pulled the rug out from under my characters. Writing stopped abruptly, partly because I wasn't sure how to proceed, but more because I had to spend time considering my own situation. One thing was for sure, I had no desire to go back to the UK - France is my home and has been since 2010 - and as the two years since the referendum have passed, I recognise the country of my birth less and less.

As for the novel, I felt I had a few choices. I could fix the action in a time before the referendum was held, but wasn't happy doing that as it would immediately cease being a contemporary novel.

Secondly I could take the referendum as a key theme, but that would change the whole feel of the novel; the Reluctant Expat might well have dug in her heels and said a firm non! Plus a good two thirds of what I had already written would have to be considerably changed.

Eventually I decided to take a middle road, allow the idea of the referendum to be discussed but in the context of an event that would have no impact. Perhaps that reflected my own hopes, although as time runs out and there is no deal with between the EU and the UK over their future relationship, I suspect the UK is heading for a long period of economic and political turmoil.

As for me, well I have applied for a Carte de Sejour which should be a given and also have an interview in a couple of months to become a French citizen. That is much more terrifying - a ninety minute interview is bad enough, but in French?! And the outcome of that is far from a given.

The Reluctant Expat is available to download here.

No comments:

Post a Comment